MySpa @ InterContinental Miami
100 Chopin Plaza
“MySpa is my home, a little sliver of calm in a busy, bustling city. We offer cutting-edge results and treatments while maintaining a relaxed, pampered atmosphere.”
When she was a child in Romania, Suzana Alexandrescu’s mother would put cucumbers on her eyes, mix fruit masks and hydrate her skin with olive oil. “I was fascinated,” she says. She went on to become an engineer in Romania and rediscovered the beauty of esthetics in 2006 at the Margate Beauty School in South Florida. Homesick in 2007, she went back to Romania and opened Revo Beauty Salon. She moved back to Florida a few years later to work with Babor Products with “remarkable results.” Since 2010, she’s worked at MySpa Intercontinental Miami where she is their Lead Therapist and has created a menu that goes well beyond the basics. “We add elements to each massage like hot poultice, warm healing mud and deeply relaxing and detoxifying essential oils to enhance the guest experience,” she says. “For the perfect day, start with Raindrop Therapy (seven essential oils with hot stones and reflexology) and a Hydrafacial followed by the Dazzle Dry Manicure/Pedicure and the new Hair Blowdry Bar & Makeup.”
1. Always apply sunscreen — we live in Miami! Studies show those who use sunscreen regularly have 24% less signs of aging than those who use it “sometimes.”
2. It’s very important to clean off your makeup at night. Try to use a Clarisonic. The benefits include reducing lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores and enhancing radiance.
3. Use a daily moisturizer. Not only will it delay your aging, using a high-quality product with excellent ingredients will help you look your best day in and day out.
4. Don’t clog your pores with heavy makeup. Use bare minerals or our Babor Makeup Treatment line. What you put on your skin each day is extremely important.
Ecstasy Salon Spa
2100 Ponce De Leon Blvd.
“I’m inspired every day by the smiles of my clients as a result of the service I provide. I love to make them smile, especially after a big transformation.”
Bobby Barros is yet another example of why the Cuban influence has made Miami great. He was born in Cuba and came to the U.S. in 1980 where he began working as a bag boy during the day so he could go to cosmetology school at night. “I started my career in the beauty industry right after graduation,” he says. “Ten years later, I opened my own hair salon.” Today, each day at the salon remains a new and unique experience and a change for him to evolve in his profession as he helps clients achieve their ideal imagines and establishes personal relationships with them. “From starting at the bottom to becoming a leader and an example to others in my profession, I can honestly say at this point in my career, even with so many years of experience, I’m still eager and hungry to keep learning and growing in this field. I enjoy what I do. It is all about creating a personalized image for each of my clients.” Although Ecstasy Salon Spa is best known for providing upscale, innovative hair services for the past 30 years, this one-stop beauty emporium offers so much more, including Caviar Treatments, Microdermabrasion, Shellacs, Botox and Capilar. The comprehensive menu of beauty enhancing, stress-reducing, self-esteem boosting options includes nail care, waxing, laser hair removal, makeup, permanent makeup, eyelash enhancers, facials and other skincare options and massage therapy services. Barros also has a TV segment where he advises people of the new changes in personal imaging. “One day I’d like to have my own shampoo and conditioner line named Bobby Barros by Ecstasy,” he shares.
1. To preserve artificial coloring, I recommend sulfur-free shampoo and hair sunblock to keep your color-treated hair looking shiny and vibrant.
2. For long, healthy hair, brush every day before going to sleep with a natural cedar hairbrush. This routine maintains your locks looking great while rejuvenating them.
3. During the summer, chemical-treated hair needs to be hydrated with more frequency. Gorgeous skin needs proper hydration — hair is no different.
4. Treat hair once a month with an organic treatment like natural oils (avocado, coconut, olive oil) mixed with an egg. Make sure not to apply too close to the roots.
Martha’s Beauty Salon
961 Crandon Blvd.
“I want to keep putting smiles on the faces of my clients while building lasting relationships with them. I thrive on learning the latest trends so I can offer them.”
“I love being able to boost someone’s confidence through my work,” says Martha Fernandez. Hair and beauty are more than a job to her, they are a way of life. “I’m a Cuban woman who has been working on The Key for almost 30 years,” she says. “My profession is my passion and I truly look forward to going to work every day. I simply love everything that has to do with hair and beauty — this inspired me to get started and motivates me to keep going.” As such, Martha’s Beauty Salon is a unisex salon that redefines the words “full-service.” In addition to offering hair, nails, skincare, body care, spa treatments and facials, the salon provides a welcoming, relaxing, sophisticated environment that is a haven from today’s stressed-out world. Martha opened her first salon in the midst of the decade of glamorous (and occasionally outrageous) hair in 1986 after graduating from the top cosmetology school in California. She soon became a go-to destination for those looking for stylish good looks and top-notch customer service. Over the years, she’s built an award-winning team of top cosmetology professionals and remains innovative by offering the latest state-of-the-art technology — and at the root of it all is her focus on doing everything she can to make her clients look as beautiful as they can.
1. It’s all about the Keratin to defrizz and smooth the most unruliest of hair. Keratin also strengthens hair strands and repairs damage.
2. A mani/pedi is a mood-lifter because it’s a great way to relax and be pampered. Plus, having great-looking nails and toes elevates the spirit.
3. L’anza products are the best. The company is focused on creating the healthiest hair possible using all-natural crafted botanicals.
4. Invest in a good blowdryer. Cheap blowdryers run too hot and have little power, meaning you have to heat the hair for longer, causing damage.