We are speaking, of course, of Burdine’s Department Store. Originally established as a dry goods warehouse by ex-Army officer William Burdine, by 1912 the business had transformed to a department located securely in the center of our nascent city. Taken in 1938 on the corner of Flagler & S. Miami Ave., this landmark location of the cherished chain was still in the expanding stages at that time. The Biscayne Hotel, also pictured, was demolished soon after World War II to make space for the increasingly popular retail conglomerate. Owned by Macy’s, Inc., since 1956, 2005 saw the nationwide chain consolidate the failing brand under their name. Although we of course love our centrally situated Macy’s, we can’t help but think that Downtown Miami is a little less distinctive without that signature Burdine’s charm.
Billionaire philanthropist, entrepreneur and contemporary art collector Jorge M. Pérez unveiled his highly anticipated experimental arts center, El Espacio 23, with an intimate preview event for local community leaders and South Florida cultural luminaries
Fashion and furniture combine in amazing spaces designed by California Closets that are gorgeous, functional and ready for a close-up.